What I Should Have Learned in B-School

Check my transcript: I took all the right classes.

Accounting, Finance, Operations, Marketing (lots of Marketing), Economics, Statistics...you name the B-School course, I took it. I even did an "Advanced Topics in Finance" class since I thought number crunching was what I needed to learn.

However, despite all my efforts, I failed to learn perhaps the most important lesson in business: your net worth is directly attributable to your network.

Only in the years since business school have I been able to fully comprehend the importance of your network.

I will never regret my time in business school. It was beneficial beyond measure and it propelled me into a career that I love. I was challenged by both professors and colleagues. I became a smarter and more well-rounded professional. And I recommend continued education to anyone and everyone.

Nevertheless, as I look back, I think I could have benefitted from a Networking 101 class. I can envision the modules: Honing Your Elevator Pitch, Public Speaking, Managing Your Rolodex, Follow Up Techniques and Giving to Get.

I should have learned these topics in b-school, but maybe these lessons are best taught outside of the classroom. Maybe the school of hard knocks is the best way to learn how to network.

After all, it's not the economy, stupid. It's your network.

No comments:

Post a Comment