Final Verdict: Keep It Simple

My tenant trashed my condo.

As my tenant was vacating my home, I inspected the residence. Needless to say, it looked like a college dorm after years of parties, fights and mistreatment.

The tenant refused to pay for any of the damages so I took him to small claims court. It was there that I got an important marketing lesson: keep it simple.

You see, I created a spreadsheet, I photocopied receipts and estimates and I printed a slew of photos. I was extremely prepared with tons of materials.

Big mistake. In the end, I was overly prepared.

The judge did not take the time to look at all of my documents. Instead, he focused on a couple of minor things, stated that the damage I was claiming was covered by the tenant’s security deposit and he ruled in favor of the defendant. Ouch.

Had I understood the target audience better (the judge) I would have focused on just one or two things. Had I known that the judge did not intend to review all of the documentation I provided, I would have kept it extremely simple and to the point.

Same goes for marketing. Less is more.

Marketing, much like the small claims court, is about communicating the important action items concisely and succinctly.

Succeed in marketing with brevity, clarity and simplicity. Move your business to the next level by communicating the core message and nothing more.

I should have taken my marketing expertise to small claims court.

Good thing I am not a lawyer.

No comments:

Post a Comment