Dr. Seuss = Sales Coach

When was the last time you read "Green Eggs and Ham" by Dr. Seuss? For me, it was last night.

Dr. Seuss gets frequent play at storytime in my house. The rhyming and rhythm is great fun with the little ones and they love the drawings. "Horton Hears a Who" and "Cat in the Hat" are probably the favorite selections at the moment, but last night we tackled "Green Eggs and Ham."

As I was reading it, I couldn't help but think how persistent Sam-I-Am is. Sam-I-Am consistently offers his green eggs and ham to his counterpart only to be rejected and refused time after time. However, Sam-I-Am never loses his cool and continues to suggest endless ways and places to try green eggs and ham.

Ultimately Sam-I-Am wins out when he suggests that his friend try a taste: "You do not like them./So you say./Try them! Try them!/And you may./Try them and you may, I say." Despite the resistance, Sam-I-Am convinces his friend to taste the green eggs and ham. The result: the sale is closed and Sam-I-Am converts his friend's "NO" to a resounding "YES." Even better, his friend now becomes completely sold on green eggs and ham so much so that he wants to share it with others.

Dr. Seuss shows how persistence, suggestive selling and sticking with it can lead to "YES." Sam-I-Am might be too pushy for some tastes, but he certainly demonstrates that sales is a long term committment that requires finding just right combination to move from "NO" to "YES." And once you find that right combination, you create more and more customers that love your product or service.

You may have to suggest many options, you may have to ask more than once and you ultimately may need to give a little bit for free. But like Sam-I-Am, if you stick with it and don't take "NO" for an answer, you too can convert those naysayers into brand advocates.

No comments:

Post a Comment